Learn the Canadian Maritimes!
6 nights, 7 days • June 23-29, 2020
Join us for this unforgettable training to the Canadian Maritimes! The Maritimes are a staple on so many itineraries and as many Tour Operators begin their journeys in the States, U.S. Tour Directors are in demand. Understanding the logistics and how to fill those long drive days with stories and secret stops is imperative. Come with us on this incredible journey that will cover the most popular sites and teach you to navigate a perfect tour!
Good to know: This training tour is 7 days long, with 6 night’s lodging included. We’ll travel by motor coach for the trip. Since flights to Halifax can be tricky, Day 1 is largely a positioning day, to get you to the hotel.
- If you’ve never been, you’ll learn quickly that there’s no other training program quite like ours in the industry. We believe in an immersive experience. Days are long and intense, sharing with you our “special sauce” for becoming an incredible tour director.
- Beyond the old FAM-tour model of showing you ticket booths and routes, we focus on three things: fantastic storytelling, creating wow moments, and logistics & secret spots that combine to make you look like a pro from the beginning.
- You get two instructors. Mitch & Alan teach in a complementary way, but our styles are quite different. You get to watch two pros in action.
- We take our decades of experience and bottle it into this 8-day experience. We’ll share our special routes, hidden stops, and tricks that make you look impressive!
Today you arrive in Halifax. We are booked at a hotel close to the airport where we will hold an evening “briefing” that will include a classroom style overview of the Maritimes, looking at various itineraries and logistics. Flights into Halifax can be tricky because of the time change (1 hour later that EST), so this is an arrival day to be sure everyone gets in.
- Learn how maple sugar is processed during a brief stop at a local sugar shack
- Visit the legendary Peggys Cove and hear the stories of the past along with tragedies such as the Swiss Air disaster right off it’s coast
- Tour the UNESCO – listed port town of Lunenburg, a picturesque postcard town and learn about shipbuilding at the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic as well as pirates and privateers!
- Selfie at Mahone Bay
- Overnight in Moncton
- Hopewell Rocks to PEI
- We start the day walking on the ocean floor at Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy! You will learn from a guide about the incredible
tides – one of the highest average tides in the world!
- We take the Confederation Bridge crossing the Northumberland Straight an incredible engineering marvel spanning 8 miles!
- Visits include: Anne of Green Gables, Cavendish Beach and PEI preserves, all important stops on most itineraries.
- We will learn about farming, potatoes and of course, mussels!
- Walking and driving tour of historic Charlottetown. It’s stories and history as the Birthplace of Confederation.
- PEI to Cape Breton
- Learn the history of Cape Breton as we cross the Canso Causeway
- Transfer to the village of Baddeck, located along the shore of the Bras d’Or Lake
- Learn about the Alexander Graham Bell museum and why he chose Cape Breton as his home
- Tonight we stay on the shores at an incredible hotel and share an amazing dinner (included)
- Cabot Trail
- First stop Cheticamp, learn about hookers (it’s a thing!), fishing and the people who live there.
- Enjoy an amazing included lunch at Alans favorite restaurant in Cheticamp
- Enter Cape Breton Highlands National Park, this is one of the highlights of this trip
- Learn all the best stops and stories to tell along it’s trail to make your guests fall in love
- Back to Halifax
- We head back to Halifax for our final night
- Along the way, we will ride through the Annapolis Valley, an incredible area filled with farms, orchards and quaint towns
- Stop for a guided tour at Grand Pre and learn about the Acadian people and the sad history of the great
expulsion that few know about.
- Arrive in Halifax where we will have a private ghost and history tour at the famous Citadel
- We start with a morning tour of Halifax, including a stop at the Pier 21 Museum (think Ellis Island of Canada), Fairview Lawn Cemetery
where many Titanic victims are buried (even Jack Dawes!) and the Victorian Era Public Gardens.
- Drop at airport at 3PM (book flights after 5PM).
Two Expert instructors + meetings with local experts and vendors
Six Days of Motor Coach Transportation
6 nights Hotel Accommodation (double occupancy)
One Highlight Lunch
Admission to all attractions we visit
Access to Online Resource Portal after the trip
Our hidden secrets and tips to make your tours shine!
Cocktail mixer and wow moment foods
We know, this is a pricier trip, but summer is peak season, and we firmly believe in not just doing site visits, but experiencing what your guests will experience, so you can better translate your energy and excitement to them. We’re including a lot to give you a rich experience.
Trip cost is based on double occupancy. We will do our best to pair you with a roommate, but cannot make guarantees. First come, first served.
Single Supplement is available. Inquire about the cost.
Book your flight home after 5pm.
A $200 non-refundable deposit is required to enroll on this trip. Please do not ask us for this money back; we need you to make a commitment to coming so we can pay our vendors accurately. The rest of your payment is refundable up to 30 days out. Please read our full booking terms and conditions here.
Our Promise to you
Once you complete this course, you will feel in control of leading large groups through these cities. Once you’ve studied the books, you’ll have the best possible commentary material to make your tours sparkle. You will have the insider knowledge to look like a pro in front of your groups.
We’ll vouch for you.
Complete our course, and we’ll reach out to tour operators on your behalf, using our reputation to vouch for your ability to competently lead groups through these cities. This means more work for you.
You become part of the TripSchool family.
Our community is awesome. The bond from the trip doesn’t stop at the end; you’ll be part of our private Facebook group, and also be able to reach out to Mitch and Alan any time, with any questions. We want to be a bridge between you and tour operators, and help you along in your careers! We offer you a private Facebook forum, online resource portal, tour offers, book clubs, mentorship opportunities… in short, everything you need to feel connected to this job and others doing it!